It’s important to remember pest control doesn’t just stop when the pest inspector has left the property, in fact pest control should be part of your home’s everyday maintenance.
Termites are one of Australia’s most destructive pests. It is believed that termite activity costs Australians between $2 – 3 billion each year. So it makes sense not to let these bugs take up residence by using pest control methods after a pest inspection.
Pest inspectors are experts in pest behaviour and prevention, so you can rely on them to give you advice that will help you prevent pest problems for months or even years to come.
Here’s what you can do to prevent termites after your pest inspector leaves:
– Pest inspectors generally advise against storing firewood close to the house because pest and other insects can live in untreated timber and make their way into your home.
– Pest inspectors also advise pest proofing your home, specifically to block entry points. Check around windows and doors for gaps and cracks where termite activity could occur. Make sure screens fit tightly over vents and that downpipes are fastened securely where they enter the ground or house wall.
– Pests can enter through roof ventilation so pest control companies recommend checking and servicing these every six months if needed.
– During rainy seasons check the exterior of your house for any signs of termite damage such as mud tubes (slimy) or holes in timber structures, particularly next to brick walls. If you notice anything out of place, give us a call.
– You can also provide extra pest protection for vulnerable areas by applying barrier sprays to the footings and soffits of your house. There are many pest control products available that would satisfy this purpose.
– Regular pest inspections are key to pest proofing your home plus they ensure you’re protected against pest spread and the spread of diseases in pests that can affect humans, particularly if you have pets or young children.
Doing all of these things will help keep your home pest-free after your inspection.